During my 48-years as a mechanical contractor and writing monthly columns for trade magazines, I was often requested to investigate mechanical systems that simply did not work very well. Finalized reports were submitted and either we brought them up to proper performance or the original installer performed the upgrades. I have been retained dozens of times by lawyers to investigate PHVAC issues, including severe thermal scalding incidents. I have also been retained as an expert witness for several jury trials.
Our Ideal Customer
Manufacturers seeking advice for their PHVAC products. Businesses and consumers who want to determine why PHVAC systems are not performing properly. Law firms seeking expert opinions from an expert witness with respect to PHVAC systems, carbon monoxide poisoning, thermal scalding, and radiant heating or snow melt systems.
About Dave Yates
Former owner of F. W. Behler, Inc. Over the past 30-years, I have done consulting work for numerous clients, conducted well over 100 forensic investigations into problematic PHVAC systems, and testified as an expert witness in several jury trials in PA and MD that resulted in my clients prevailing. After selling Behler, more clients sought out my consulting services and it’s now officially Yates Consulting LLC.
Dave Yates Resume
12/9/2019 Consultant working with Nationwide Ins. Co. to develop a new program.
• Working from home 20-30 hours a week with monthly trips to Atlanta, GA.
• Due to Covid-19, now working from home and Zoom calls.
1985 – 12/6/2019: President, F. W. Behler, Inc
• Expanded sales by 400%+.
• Tripled number of employees.
• Continued pursuit of advanced educational opportunities.
• Achieved National Awards for installations.
• Company’s work featured in dozens of National Publications
2003 – 2010: Partner, JoDa Film Productions
• Scripted, directed, produced & appeared in: “Contractors’ Corner” video segments for www.HVACtv.com
• Scripted, directed, produced and appeared in: “Danger – Scalding Lurks”, a 28-minute documentary film regarding potable hot water scalding and bacterial issues produced for Watts Regulator Co. www.wattsreg.com
• Purchased hi-definition digital 3 CMOS chip Panasonic DVR, wireless mics, & studio lighting to begin filming educational videos for our under-construction web site, Contractor & Green Mechanical magazines, Fine Home Building magazine & manufacturers.
• Projects: troubleshooting water heaters; installation of energy efficient alternative HVAC sources; solar energy installation; and Daikin Altherma (cutting edge technology for inverter-driven air-to-water heat pumps) radiant heating/cooling system.
• Youtube video account: type fwbehler into the search window
• Video production for St. Peter’s Church outdoor nighttime Live Nativity, which won 1st place at Lutheran Synod convention.
• 2015: RPA Fundamentals of Radiant Basics – a six week online training course.
• 2016: AHR video production – interviews with exhibitors
• 2014: Hired by Take One Video productions as the lead in a short film on domestic hot water recirculation.
• 2017: Video on Alpha ECM circulators for Grundfos – Take One Productions
1979–1985: Self Employed: David W. Yates; Plumbing, Heating & Repairs
• PHVAC with focus on service work
• Increased sales by more than 30% each year.
• Hired and managed additional employees
1976–1979: Regal Plumbing & Heating
• Assumed duties for PHVAC repair technician work
• Initiated oil burner service program
• Advanced to Master Plumber
1972–1976: F. W. Behler (PHVAC)
• Apprentice plumber
• Hands-on experience learning plumbing, heating and air conditioning
• Advanced to Journeyman Plumber
1972: Ray P. Cleary (P&H)
• Apprentice plumber
• Hands-on experience learning plumbing & heating
2003 to present – Fee-based Consulting:
• Armstrong Industries – A Canadian hydronic manufacturer (2003)
• Watts Radiant – Manufacturer of radiant heating products (2004)
• Caleffi – Italian manufacturer of industry-related products (2005)
• Taco – Manufacturer of pumps (2006/2007)
• Grundfos – hydronics manufacturer (2006-2018)
• Grundfos – R&D – variable speed circulator application (2013)
• Bradford White – tankless water heater study (2013)
• Plumbing systems to determine defects in materials or workmanship including testing water heaters.
• HVAC systems to determine why systems are not performing properly, which can include heat loss/gain calculations; equipment sizing; uneven distribution of comfort; and specializing in radiant heating and snow melt systems. Use of professional design programs to determine if existing systems were properly designed and determine defects in workmanship.
2013 Expert Witness – MD case: McLaughlen v Dynatemp – jury trial:
• Testified as an expert witness on behalf of McLaughlen in regard to geothermal water-to-water & hydronic radiant heating failed design. Jury awarded McLaughlen $260,000.00.
2013 Expert Witness – MD case: Joseph Capista & Shannon Curran v. Saffer:
• Sarah Albert, Beveridge & Diamond, P.C. 201 N. Charles St., Suite 2210 Baltimore MD 21201-4150
• Testified as an expert witness for Capista & Curran regarding mercury contamination. Case settled in favor of Capista & Curran following my deposition.
2015 Expert Witness – PA case: Joseph Awe v. Daikin – jury trial:
• Testified as an expert witness for Daikin regarding the Daikin Altherma heat pump systems installed in the Awe residence. Case settled in favor of Daikin.
2020: Retained as an expert witness in two active cases that will go to trial later this year.
2013 IAPMO/RPA – appointed to code development Working Group:
• Review and development of hydronic & solar national codes
1972 – 1975: York Vo-Tech
• Evening classes for plumbing codes
1973: Penn State, Erie Campus
• Associate degree in Viticulture
1971 – 1972: Thiel College, Greenville, PA
• Undergraduate study
• Thiel Choir
• Start up Thiel’s first sanctioned soccer team
• Left Thiel in second year with a 4.0 average in psychology major to “find myself”
• I’m happy to say I’m still looking and hope the journey never ends!
1969 – 1971: The Gow School, South Wales, NY www.gow.org
• 11th & 12th grade
• President, debating team
• Captain – Junior Varsity Soccer
• Co-Captain – Varsity Lacrosse
• Ski racing team
1966 – 1969: Central School District
• 7th – 10th grades
1964 – 1966: York Country Day School
• 5th & 6th grades
1959 – 1964: Central School District
• 1st – 4th grades
• BNP: columns & feature stories for PM Mag www.pmmag.com ; PME Mag www.pmengineer.com ; & Supply House Times Mag. www.supplyht.com
• Contractor Magazine: www.contractormag.com Monthly Column & Feature Articles
• Green Mechanical Magazine www.greenmechanicalcontractor.com Feature Articles
• Plumbing & Mechanical Magazine: www.pmmag.com Featured Columns
• Radiant Living Magazine: Featured Columns
• Journal of Light Construction Magazine: Articles
• Fine Home Building Magazine: Articles; assisted editing article regarding hot water recirculation; and hired to proctor for on-line bulletin board discussion on hot water recirculation.
• Smart Homeowner Magazine: Articles; Q&A column
• Radiant Panel Report: Articles
• Lowes for Pros: Articles
• Healthyheating.com: Articles
• Masterplumbers.com: (Australian web site) Articles
• Globalpipe – Germany: Articles
• The World Book Encyclopedia: contributing author – 2003 Rewrote Plumbing section and edited drawing of a home plumbing system.
• The World Book Encyclopedia: contributing author – 2005 Rewrote Boiler section.
• The World Book Encyclopedia: contributing author – 2005 Rewrote Disposal section.
• Grundfos – Wrote Technician Handbook and supplied technical drawings to accompany text. 2006-2007
• Multiple RPA awards 2000 – 2006 for hydronic installations including Best of Show. Appointed as a Judge in 2007, which eliminated entry into competition.
• 2005: District Award of Merit in recognition of outstanding service and leadership – the highest award that can be given by local district BSA.
• 2006: Presented with the “Carlson – Holohan Industry Award of Excellence”, an international award given once every two years. (See: www.healthyheating.com)
• 2007: Nominated by peers for entry into the Radiant Panel Association’s Hall of Fame
• 2008: Elected by peers to the Radiant Panel Association’s “Green Team”
• 2009: Named as one of the 25 most influential people in the PHVAC industry by Plumbing & Mechanical Magazine
• 2010: York Central Market – recognized for 14-year tenure as president of the board of directors
• 2011 – Nominated in four categories for Outstanding Leadership in Technology for PA.
• 2014: Named as one of the most influential people in the PHVAC industry by Contractor Magazine
• 2016: Named as an industry luminary by Contractor Magazine
Local and national organizations:
• Radiant Professionals Alliance: appointed to serve on the education committee
• York County School of Technology: appointed to serve on the education committee
• ACCA (Air Conditioning Contractors of America): appointed to serve on the RHC (Radiant Hydronics Council)
• Radiant Panel Association: Executive board of directors; board of directors; committee member; instructor for Radiant Basics and Advanced Radiant
• Green Mechanical Council: Education committee
• York County builders Association: member
• York Area Chamber of Commerce: member
• Boy Scouts of America: committee member, past Scoutmaster, trainer – adult leader programs training instructor, given “District Award of Merit” in recognition of outstanding service and leadership – the highest award that can be given by local district BSA.
• York Central Market – Elected to Board of Directors in 1999 & served as President 1996- 2010 www.centralmarketyork.com
• Rambo Run Club – Chairman of Buildings & Grounds – 1980 to 2018
• National Sanitation Foundation: committee member
• Plumbing Board of Springettsbury Township – 1995 to 2009
• Habitat for Humanity: build-a-thon Placed in charge of two homes for the PHVAC work that were constructed in a 48-hour time period. Appeared in the BBC film “On The House” that documented the construction/completion of two homes from scratch to move-in condition in just two days.
• Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology – Appointed to the technical advisory committee in 2006
Speaking, lecturing & teaching:
• York Area Chamber of Commerce: Economics Club Breakfast – 10/31/01
• Danfoss – Orlando Fl – 2/21/02 – Keynote Speaker for National Sales Conference
• Radiant Panel Association – Sacramento CA – 5/8/03 – Presentation on Legionella Bacteria “Water Creatures”
• Wirsbo – Apple Valley, MN – www.wirsbo.com – Presentation @ Wirsbo school
• Radiant Panel Association – Washington Area Chapter – 4/28/03 – Presentation “Adventures in Radiant Heating – From Soup to Nuts”
• National Association of Oil Heat Service Managers (NAOHSM) – October 6, 7, 2004 “Oil Heat Cares” – Holiday Inn BWI, Baltimore, MD: Presentation on proper use of potable water heaters for combined hydronic and potable systems.
• International Symposium on Heating Plumbing & Air Conditioning – North America (ISHNA), October 15 – 17, 2004 – Boston, MA: Technical presentation on proper sizing and installation of tankless water heaters.
• RadFest East – Radiant Panel Association convention – Instructor for Radiant Basics course May 2005
• National Association of Oil Heat Service Managers (NAOHSM) – May 14 – 18, 2006 Two seminars: “How to sell hydronics to reluctant customers, builders and architects” and “Radiant Heating for Dummies – Like Me!”
• Watts Radiant – Springfield, MO – 2006 – Helped teach technical aspects of hydronic & electric radiant sales, design & installation.
• Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology: Hired as an adjunct professor to develop a hydronics course for night classes and substitute-teach classes.
• International Symposium on Heating Plumbing & Air Conditioning – North America (ISHNA), October, 2006 – Chicago, IL: Presentation on bacterial amplification and scalding issues in residential potable water heating systems as it relates to dual-use hydronic/potable systems.
• National Association of Oil Heat Service Managers (NAOHSM) – May 20 – 24, 2007 Seminar: “Be the Tiger Woods of Hydronics”
• Comfortech 2009 presentation: Hydronics & HVAC – Air & Water Do Mix!
• Mechanical Systems Week 2011 presentation: Marketing & Selling Water & Energy Conservation
• Comfortech 2012 presentation: The Fab Five – panel discussion presentation re up-selling to high efficiency
• Comfortech 2013 presentation: Mastering the Outdoor Reset Curve and its Practical Application.
• Comfortech 2013: Panelist for the Mechanical Town Hall
• AHR 2014: Presentation: How to upsell using ECV & ROI.
• AHR 2014: Panelist for the Mechanical Town Hall
• Comfortech 2014: Presentation on Conversion of Steam to Gently Warmed Water
• AHR 2015: Presentation on Upgrading Old Mechanical Systems to Modern High-Efficiency Systems
• AHR 2015: Panelist for the Mechanical Town Hall
• AHR 2016: NAECA & Not Afraid – presentation on new DOE energy efficiency regulations
• AHR 2016: Video interviews with multiple exhibitors for Contractor Magazine. Post editing & production to finalize video work.
• OESP Eastern Energy Expo 2019: Why contractors should do their own heat loss/gain calculations.
Speaking, lecturing & teaching at local schools:
• York County School of Technology Guest Speaker for Adult Education HVAC Class – 2003
• York Vo-Tech – Guest speaker for Adult Education Plumbing Class – 2003
• York Vo-Tech – Guest speaker for Adult Education Plumbing Class – 2004
• Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology 2004 Lancaster, PA – HVAC class
• Central York High School 2004 – Entrepreneurship Class
• Red Lion Middle School 2004 – Special Education Class
• Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology 2006 – Two-day class on hydronics for HVAC students.
• Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology 2011 Lancaster, PA – HVAC class
Training and Certifications
ASSE 19210 Radiant Heating/Cooling Instructor Certification (2017)
Heat Transfer Products
• Solar thermal – installer/designer cert course
• Advanced Training for Vision 1, 3 & 4 Systems
• Advanced training – modulating condensing boilers
Radiant Panel Association:
• Certified Instructor: Radiant Basics and Advanced Radiant Controls
• Certified Hydronics Installer
• Certified Hydronics Designer
• Certified Training for radiant heating
• Lead remediation certified
Quan Tech – HUD:
• Completed 8 Hours Training Addressing Lead Based Paint Hazards
• Certified for lead remediation
• Radiant Floor Heat Design & Software Seminar (Wright Suite)
• Residential Control School (Part A S110)
New England Water Works Association & York Water Co.:
• Certified Backflow Tester & Inspector
Mitsubishi – Mr. Slim M & P Service:
• Advanced Training for Inverter Heat Pump Technology
• Diamond Dealer – Top level certification for system design, service and sales.
• Gas Pipe Design and Installation Certification
• Triathlon Heat Pump Level 1 Technical Training
• R410A Refrigerant Certification
• Advanced Air Conditioning Diagnostics Course
Energy Saving Products:
• Hi Velocity Soft Aire
Titeflex Interior Gas Piping System:
• Gas Pipe Certification 10/7/93 – 93t8421
Rheem Mfg. Software:
• RHVAC – Elite Software – ACCA Manual-J & D programs training
• AUDIT – Elite Software
ACCA – Refrigerant Transition & Recovery Certification Program:
• Universal Freon Certification EPA Program Approved 10/18/93 Ferris State University
• Advanced training for Inverter Heat Pump Technology
• Advanced training for VRF Inverter Heat Pump Technology
• F.A.S.T. training courses (multiple)
• Geothermal design and installation training 2009
• Modulating condensing boiler training 2010
• Air-to-water heat pump advanced training 2010 – design & installation
• Geothermal design and installation training 2010
Master Plumbing Licenses
• City of York
• Dallastown Borough
• Dover Borough
• Dover Township
• Manchester Township
• Springettsbury Township
• Spring Garden Township
• West Manchester Township
• York Township
• South Middleton Township
• Fly fishing